Want to play a Monopoly drinking game?
While Monopoly is known for its family-friendly gameplay, drunk Monopoly can be a fun variation for adults looking to enjoy some beer or cocktails.
The Monopoly drinking game works pretty much just like other drinking games – you play Monopoly and then take a drink/ship when certain actions on the board happen.
You can play the classic Monopoly game with these conditions added. Or, there are also some dedicated Monopoly drinking games that you might want to consider if you’d prefer something more structured.
In this post, I’ll share some suitable rules for drunk Monopoly and then dig into some of those other game variations.
The Best Monopoly Drinking Game Rules
If you’re playing the classic Monopoly game, there are obviously no official drinking game rules.
As such, you’re free to make up your own rules, though you’ll want to make sure you’re being responsible (don’t get too drunk!).
If you’re looking for a good place to start, here are some common drinking rules you can use…
- Go to Jail – take a sip (some people also do a full shot when you get to jail – just be careful as this can quickly lead to drinking a lot. I recommend starting with sips the first time you play).
- Pass go – take a sip.
- Land exactly on go – take two sips (some people also do a shot here, but the same caveat applies).
- Roll a double – take a sip.
- Free parking – everyone drinks / you get to choose someone else to drink
- Pay rent (land on someone else’s property) – take a sip.
- Win an auction – if you win an auction, the person you outbid has to take a sip.
- Pay money to the bank – take a sip.
- Earn money from the bank (Community/Chance card) – you get to choose someone else to drink.
Again – these are just some starting rules. Feel free to adjust them based on how drunk you want to get and how much power you want to force other people to take a drink. I’ll share an example below.
You should also feel free to leave certain rules out if you want to keep things simple.
I recommend just taking sips the first time you play, as shots can quickly add up, even if you’re just using them when someone lands in jail.
⚠️ Important – Always drink responsibly. If you feel like you’re getting too drunk with the rules you chose, take a break and drink some water. Safety should always come first, even when you’re turn Monopoly into a drinking game.
An Example Drunk Monopoly Game to Get You Started
Here’s a specific example of the rules that I used for my first game of drunk Monopoly.
For these rules, one drink = one sip, not an entire shot!
Here are the situations when you drink:
- Land on someone else’s property – 🍸 one drink for individual properties, 🍸🍸 two drinks if they own the entire set of that color, and 🍸🍸🍸 three drinks for hotels.
- Go to jail – 🍸🍸🍸🍸 finish your drink.
- Pay luxury tax – 🍸 one drink.
- Mortgage a property – 🍸 one drink.
- Go bankrupt – 🍸🍸🍸🍸 finish your drink (and you’re out of the game!).
- Pay water/electric bill – 🍸 one drink.
- Pay money from Chance/Community chest card – 🍸 one drink.
And here are the situations when you get to nominate someone else to drink:
- Roll doubles – 🎁🍸 choose someone else to take one drink.
- Free parking – 🎁🍸🍸 everyone else takes two drinks.
- Earn money from Chance/Community chest card – 🎁🍸 choose someone else to take one drink.
Alternative: Drink Solely Based On the Dice
An alternative way to play a Monopoly drinking game is to only drink based on the dice rolls, rather than what’s happening in Monopoly itself.
There are a number of dice-based drinking games that you can easily pair with Monopol, such as Sevens, elevens, and doubles.
While these aren’t purely based on the Monopoly rules, they can add a bit of spice to your Monopoly games.
Six Best Drunk Monopoly Games You Can Buy
In addition to adding your own drunk Monopoly rules to the classic game, there are also some dedicated Monopoly drinking games that you can purchase.
If you want to have regular drinking games with friends, these might be a good option.
Some of these are drinking games that are loosely based on Monopoly, while others adapt the classic Monopoly game to alcohol themes such as beer, wine, and cocktails.
1. Drinkopoly – Loosely Based on Monopoly
As the name suggests, Drinkopoly is an unofficial off-the-rack Monopoly drinking game that you can play with anywhere from one to six players.
It has pre-built tasks and cards designed to get you all good and drunk including the following:
- 44 different properties requiring you to stop at bars and clubs and take various types of drinks.
- 50 special cards describing tasks you have to complete to advance (or you have to take a drink).
It’s important to note that this is not a classic Monopoly game and there are a lot of differences. It’s more of a party game loosely based on Monopoly than a true Monopoly drinking game.
Still, it can be a lot of fun if you’re playing with friends.
2. Drink-A-Palooza – Loosely Based on Monopoly
Like Drinkopoly, Drink-A-Palooza is more of a loosely Monopoly-based drinking game than a pure Monopoly game.
It has a Monopoly-like board, but brings in other elements such as beer pong and flip cup to create a more exciting game.
If you’re ok with that, it can be a great one to play with anywhere from 2-12 players per game.
The package includes the game board, ping pong balls, and almost everything else you need to have some fun. You will need to bring your own party cups, though!
3. Drunk-opoly – Loosely Based on Monopoly
Not to be confused with Drinkopoly, Drunk-opoly is another loosely Monopoly-based drinking game that comes with a bunch of outrageous challenges and drinking tasks.
While the basic gameplay is based on Monopoly, there are lots of tweaks that will help you have fun with up to eight other players.
4. Brew-Opoly – A Beer Monopoly Game
Brew-Opoly is a Monopoly game for beer lovers. It adjusts all of the Monopoly properties and rules to make them beer-based.
There aren’t built-in drinking rules per se, but you can easily combine your own drinking rules with Brew-Opoly to create a fun Monopoly beer game.
5. Wine-Opoly – A Wine Monopoly Game
As the name suggests, Wine-Opoly is a lot like Brew-Opoly, but it’s for wine lovers instead of beer lovers.
It’s the same idea, where all of the properties and cards are adjusted for Wine-based locations and facts.
6. Cocktail-Opoly – A Cocktail Monopoly Game
Finally, we have Cocktail-Opoly, which is just like the previous two games but focused on cocktails instead of beer or wine.
Try Monopoly As a Drinking Game
While you might have grown up playing Monopoly as a kid, that doesn’t mean there aren’t adult ways to enjoy the game.
By creating a Monopoly drinking game, you can enjoy the game while also catching a buzz.
Just remember to always drink responsibly – drunk Monopoly should be something fun; not something that makes you sick.
Have fun and let me know how it went in the comments section!